Recipe provided courtesy of Sean Gartland of Flint Farmers' Market and Michigan Farm to SchoolYield: 4-6 servings
Supplies and Equipment
- Potato masher or food processor
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or spatula
- Cutting board
- 1 can of White Northern beans (15 ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 to 6 cups of cut vegetables (carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, or other vegetables in season)
- Pour drained beans into a large bowl.
- Juice the lemon using a citrus juicer or by hand.
- Mince the garlic clove.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, and garlic to beans.
- Using the potato masher or food processor, mix the ingredients together until softened.
- Incorporate olive oil slowly, using a whisk or spatula if necessary.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Cut seasonal vegetables such as carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli or other available vegetables into strips, florets, or individual "pieces" for dipping into the hummus.
- Serve hummus with cut vegetables..