Photo and recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
- 8 pounds + 8 ounces dried tart cherries
- 2 5-pound boxes whole-grain complete pancake mix
- 1 quart + 2 cups maple syrup
- 1 gallon water
- 2 ounces pan spray
- Preheat convection oven to 325°F
- For ease of preparation and distribution of cherries, prepare the ba er for one full sheet pan at a time.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 quart of cool water (approximately 72°F) and 1 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup. Add half of a 5-pound box of whole-grain pancake mix and whisk until the batter is blended and smooth. Do not overmix. Fold in 2 pounds, 2 ounces dried tart cherries.
- Pour cherry pancake batter into sheet pan. Use spatula to evenly distribute cherries and batter. Repeat for three more batches.
- Place pans of pancake bars in the oven and bake at 325°F for 18–20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean and the pancake bars are a very light golden brown.
- Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- With washed, gloved hands, cut each pan into a 5-by-5 cut, yielding 25 pieces approximately 3 ¼ inches by 5 inches each. Place in shallow 4-inch by 6-inch container or serving bag. Place flat on sheet pans and place in cooler overnight to chill until service.