- 1 pound or 2 cups dry Michigan Navy beans
- 1-1/2 pound ham hocks or 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup mashed potato flakes or 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, oregano, basil
- 1 bay leaf
Wash and sort beans. In a large kettle, cover beans with 6-8 cups hot hater. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
Add another 2 quarts of cold water and ham bone. Bring to a boil; simmer 1-1/2 hours.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer 20-30 minutes or until beans are tender.
Remove ham bone, trim off meat, return to soup.
Makes about 3 quarts.
(Slow cooker version: simmer all ingredients in the slow cooker for about 6 hours.)Recipe provided courtesy of the Michigan Bean Commission