- 2 pounds 8 ounces Michigan beets
- 2 pounds 8 ounces carrots
- 2 pounds 8 ounces other root vegetables (turnips, rutabaga, celery root and/or parsnips)
- 2 pounds 8 ounces potatoes
- 2 pounds 8 ounces sweet potatoes
- 1 pound yellow onions (2 medium onions)
- 3 quarts water
- 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon and ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon and ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Trim and peel beets, carrots and other root vegetables. Cut into ½-inch dice. Cut potatoes and sweet potatoes in ½-inch dice. Trim and peel onions. Cut into ¼-inch dice.
Preheat convection oven to 425°F.
Bring water to a boil in a 4-quart stockpot. Add beets and cook until you can just pierce them with a fork but they are not fully tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, mix coriander, cumin, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
Add the carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, other root vegetables, onions and oil to the beets. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and stir to coat. Divide between 2 full sheet pans and spread evenly. Roast, stirring once, until the vegetables are fork tender and beginning to brown and crisp on the edges, 40 to 45 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of New School Cuisine Cookbook.