- 9.38 pounds Michigan red beets
- 9.38 pounds Michigan gold beet
- 6.25 pounds oranges
- 50 ounces lemon olive oil dressing
- 50 ounces anise fennel
- 1 ounce gresh mint
- 3.12 pounds stuffed green olives
- 1.56 pounds pine nuts
- 1.56 pounds Montrachet goat cheese
- 12.5 ounces baby arugala
1. Cook time will vary slightly depending on size of beets. Keep gold and red beets separate. Place the beets in a colander. Wash with cold tap water to remove any excess dirt. Allow to drain. Place the beets on a parchment lined sheet pan. Roast in a 350F convection oven for 30-40 minutes or until just cooked through. Do not over cook. Allow beets to cool. Peel and discard skin. Slice into 1/2 to 3/4 ounces wedges. Season the red beets with salt and pepper. Place in separate covered storage container in a single layer and refrigerate until needed, up to 2 days.
2. Prepare as needed for service. Peel the oranges. Slice the orange segments from the membrane. Place segments in a nonreactive storage container and refrigerate until needed.
To Prepare Ala Carte Portion:
3. Place 3 ounces of red beets on a chilled serving plate. Place 3 ounces of gold beets and 2 ounces of orange segments in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Ladle 1 ounce of dressing over the beets. Mix together using a rubber spatula. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on top of the red beets. Place 1 ounces of fennel and 1/4 teaspoon mint on top of the beets. Sprinkle 3/4 ounces of olives, 1/2 ounce each of pine nuts and goat cheese and 1/4 ounce arugula on top of the salad.
Recipe provided courtesy of Gordon Food Service and authored by Chef Edward Westerlund.