- 2 pounds 8 ounces Michigan broccoli
- 2 gallons water
- 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds 10 ounces whole-wheat macaroni
- 1 gallon 1 ½ cups low-fat milk
- 12 ounces enriched all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces salted butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 pounds 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat convection oven to 325°F or conventional oven to 350°F.
Trim broccoli and cut into ½ inch pieces.
Bring water and 5 teaspoons salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook until the pasta is slightly underdone, about 2 minutes more. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Warm milk in a large pot over low heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, the remaining 5 teaspoons salt, mustard, paprika and pepper.
Melt butter in a large stockpot over low heat. Increase heat to medium. Whisk in the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Do not brown. Slowly whisk the warm milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, cheddar and Parmesarn. Cook, stirring, until the cheeses are melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Pour the sauce over the pasta and broccoli, stir to combine. Divide between two 4-inch full hotel pans. Spray underside of sheets of foil with cooking spray and tightly cover the pans.
Bake in a convection oven for 25 minutes or convetional oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot.Yield: 50 servingsServing size: 1 cup Nutrition Facts:Calories 353Total Fat 16.55gSat. Fat 10.25gSodium 856.21mg Recipe courtesy of New School Cuisine Cookbook