- ½ cup + ⅓ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 quart + ¼ cup yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds + 3 ounces lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped
- ⅔ cup + ⅓ tablespoon low-sodium chicken or vegetable base
- 2 gallons water, hot
- 2 ⅛ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
Place the oil in a large pot and heat on medium. Once hot, add the chopped onions, carrots, celery and salt (if desired) and let the vegetables sweat until the onions are translucent.
Add the rinsed lentils, chopped tomatoes, broth (prepared from base and hot water), coriander and cumin. Stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender (approximately 35-40 minutes).
If desired, blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Serve 6 fluid ounces of soup or menued portion.