- 4 cups dried Michigan tart cherries
- 2 cups water
- 7 fresh corn ears, shucked
- 2 cups red onion, chopped
- 3/8 cup garlic, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 to 10 whole chipotle chilles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 cups lemon or lime juice
- Salt to taste
Heat cherries and water in a small saucepan. Simmer about 5 minutes, or until cherries have plumped and water is slightly syrupy and red. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, roast each ear of corn directly over flame on stovetop (just as you would for a roasted pepper). Turn until each ear is slightly charred all around. Set aside to cool. Cut corn kernels from cobs. You should have about 7 cups of corn.
Combine corn, cherries with liquid, onion, garlic, cilantro, chilles and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.Recipe courtesy of Cherry Marketing Institute.