- 3/4 cup pancetta, finely diced
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 4 1/2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 1/4 cups dried Michigan tart cherries
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary or sage leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and finely ground
- Bread crumbs, if desired
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Saute pancetta 5 to 7 minutes, or until crisp. Remove pancetta to a large mixing bowl.
Add butter to pancetta drippings. Saute onion and squash 3 to 5 minutes, or until semi-soft. Add cherries and rosemary; continue until squash is soft.
Add squash mixture to pancetta. Stir in hazelnuts and bread crumbs; mix thoroughly. Adjust moistness with broth, if mixture is too dry, or with more bread crumbs, if mixture is too wet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Recipe courtesy of Cherry Marketing Institute.