A Spud for Everyone!
Potatoes are a familiar favorite. They come in a variety of shapes, colors, and flavors to suit institutional food service needs. With a wide variety of uses, potatoes are sure to be a customer pleaser. Fortunately, they are also a healthy option, offering a number of important nutrients. Potatoes are grown in every region of the state, making Michigan the eighth largest producer in the country. The field fresh season for potatoes is from August to mid-November, but potatoes are available for almost the entire year since they store exceptionally well.
The Michigan Potato Toolkit provides resources to help make it easier for institutions to find, buy and use this versatile vegetable. Learn how to purchase potatoes from distributors or directly from farmers, find recipes that have been tested and perfected by food service staff members, and use the marketing materials to share the results of your efforts with staff members, eaters and communities. Then track your local purchases through the Cultivate Michigan Dashboard as we work towards reaching the goal of 20% Michigan foods in all Michigan institutions by 2020.
Quick Tips and Facts about Potatoes
- Fact: Michigan ranks eighth in the nation for potato production, with more than 50,000 acres dedicated to growing potatoes.
- Fact: Michigan is home to more than 70 potato farms, most of which are multi-generational family farms.
- Storage Tip: When potatoes are stored in temperatures lower than 50°F, their starches convert to sugar. This can result in a sweeter taste and discoloration when the potatoes are cooked.
- Nutrition Tip: Especially with their skins on, potatoes are a good source of potassium and vitamin C.
- Fact: The potato industry contributes about $1.24 billion to Michigan’s economy, including more than 3,000 jobs in potato production and processing.
- Storage Tip: Store potatoes in a cool, well-ventilated place where they are not exposed to sunlight.
Cultivate Michigan Resources
- Potato Window Decal (PDF)
- Potato Poster - 8 1/2'' x 11'' (PDF)
- Potato Poster - 8 1/2 x 14'' (PDF)
- Potato Poster - 18" x 24" (PDF)
- Cultivate Michigan Sourcing Guide