Michigan ranks third in asparagus production nationally. Twenty-five million pounds of asparagus are harvested from about 11,000 acres each year, usually in May and June. Oceana County has some of the best asparagus growing conditions in the country and is the heart of the asparagus industry in Michigan.
- Under ideal conditions, a single asparagus spear can grow up to 10 inches in a 24-hour period.
- Michigan farmers harvest their asparagus by hand from above the soil; this provides eaters with an entirely edible spear with little to no waste.
- Asparagus is a nutritious source of vitamins A and C and potassium.
Cultivate Michigan Resources
- Asparagus Window Decal (PDF)
- Asparagus Poster - 8 1/2'' x 11'' (PDF)
- Asparagus Poster - 8 1/2 x 14'' (PDF)
- Asparagus Poster - 18" x 24" (PDF)
- Cultivate Michigan Sourcing Guide