The Michigan Farm to Institution Network (MFIN) and MSU Extension will offer a Food Safety and Season Extension tour for $35 on Tuesday, June 18, 2019, from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. The tour will offer an opportunity to learn about on-farm food safety and the steps growers take to keep food safe from the field to distribution. Lunch will be provided. Space is limited to 56 individuals, so please register early.
This tour is an optional pre-conference opportunity of the Michigan Department of Education and the School Nutrition Association of Michigan Nutrition Conference. To register for this tour, please follow the "register now" button on the 2019 MDE-SNAM Nutrition Conference webpage and add "Pre-Conference: MSU Center for Regional Food Systems Tour" to your ticket selection.
See agenda below with links to farm websites and maps!
- 9:00 am Gather at Shanty Creek, welcome, introductions, agenda review (see map)
- 9:45 am Depart Shanty Creek
- 10:30 am Arrive at Friske Orchards in Ellsworth, tour, lunch (see map)
- 12:45 pm Depart for Bear Creek Organic Farm in Petoskey (see map)
- 1:45 pm Arrive at Bear Creek, tour
- 3:00 pm Depart Bear Creek
- 4:00 pm Return to Shanty Creek