It’s October again, and that means that it’s National Farm to School Month! Join us here at MFIN, the National Farm to School Network, and thousands of schools, early care and education sites, farms, communities and organizations across the country as we celebrate food education, school gardens and lunch trays filled with healthy, local ingredients. Everyone can celebrate! This October, get informed, get involved and take action to support farm to school in your community and across the country. Here are some easy action steps you can take today:
- Take the Pledge: Pledge to take action for farm to school this October, and you’ll be entered into our sweepstakes to win support of farm to school activities at the school or early care and education site of your choice!
- Crunch into a Michigan apple: Sign up for the Michigan Apple Crunch on October 25th to have your crunch counted!
- Go seasonal: Institutions can join Cultivate Michigan, the local food purchasing campaign of the Michigan Farm to Institution Network, and receive tools and information to help find, buy, serve and promote seasonal Michigan foods.
- Get inspired: Follow the National Farm to School Network on their blog, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to see inspiring examples of farm to school success and innovation.
- Spread the word: Shout out about farm to school and share what you’re doing for National Farm to School Month with the hashtags #farmtoschool and #F2SMonth on social media.
- Explore resources: Check out NFSN’s free resources and national calendar for planning and promoting celebrations in your community, including customizable posters and bookmarks, stickers, activity suggestions and more. Find CRFS’s free farm to school & ECE resources at www.mifarmtoschool.msu.edu.